Hello everyone! Here are my major resolutions and goals for 2017.
I will just briefly mention a couple of non-reading/blogging goals:
- I’m going to do my homework earlier as in not last minute. I tried to implement this at the end of last year, but failed because once you get behind things stack up and it doesn’t work out. Now that I have no homework left unfinished it is the perfect time to try and go for this one.
- I’m going to write consistently throughout the year (not just a lot one month and nothing the next).
- I’m going to spend more time with my family and not just at Christmas time when I spend hours with them. My immediate family is very close by and I need to make the most of that whilst I can because in a couple of years that will no longer be the case!
- I’m going to try and keep my room tidy more often (I don’t expect it to be tidy all the time, but putting a little bit away each day is my goal, so that it doesn’t ever get too messy).
Now for the reading goals:
- I have set my Goodreads goal at 120 books. Considering I read 187 books in 2016, I think this is quite reasonable considering that I will have less holiday and my final GCSE year beginning. It also gives me some more freedom to read longer books. Reading 120 books in a year means reading 33.333% of a book each day, or reading one book every three days, which I can definitely manage if you space it out over the year!
- I also have two major yearly TBRs to complete- the 2017 Challenge and the Books I Want To Reread, so my second goal is to fully complete both of those lists.
- I want to finish reading books before starting new ones. I already begun this a bit at the very end of 2016 where I managed to finish two books I had been reading for quite awhile. I sort of broke this rule today as I wanted to finally have one book on my Goodreads Challenge (the 0 was making me miserable) but I am thinking of it less of a rule and more of a guideline. For example, I may start a book before finishing the two books I am currently reading, but when I finish that book I go back to the ones I had already started rather than beginning a new book. I also plan on keeping the number of books I am reading at a time to 3 including school books.
- In 2016 I pre-ordered some books which I still haven’t read (even if they came out at the beginning of the year). This year I plan on reading every book I pre-order, or it wasn’t worth pre-ordering. This is slightly more lax for kindle books, but hopefully I can keep it up with those as well.
- I also want to get my TBR under control a bit. However, if I count it simply in numbers it encourages me to read lots of short books. So, I want to prevent my TBR from increasing beyond the 91 books it is currently at. I also want to get the size of it down to 1.5 brown shelves (one of my bookshelves) and 1 page on my Kindle. That way, whilst it is still a number of books on my Kindle, it is at least the magnitude of the TBR rather than the number that is the primary focus for my TBR. If I had to guess, I would say that getting my TBR down to this point would be reducing its size by a full shelf if not more.
I also have a few blogging goals! I’m trying to keep all sections of my goals under 5 so that I don’t overwhelm myself and just forget about them like I did last year. Unfortunately, this section got upped to 6 last minute, but that’s okay.
- Mark half stars down. Last year, if I ever thought a book was 3.5 or 4.5 or something like that, I would round up on Goodreads, although I would state the actual rating in my review. However, as I want to review more strictly, but am happy with how lax I am at giving out stars, I am going to round down instead of up this year so that I continue giving stars as I have been, but they register more harshly in averages, so as to show more accurately in my own statistics which books I loved.
- I want to schedule more posts and with that I also want to post at least 3 times a week, which is easier said than done.
- I want to do more discussions and reviews as well: and not just reviews of review copies, but of others books as well.
- Along with reviewing comes a couple of things. Not only do I want to do more reviews, but I want to make them more about Goodreads and less about my blog. That being said, I will definitely still post reviews on my blog, but I may do so more often on Goodreads. I also want to find a way to make reviews more engaging and interesting and (inspired by Katerina on Goodreads) hopefully enjoy writing them more!
- Finally, a goal inspired by Fadwa @Word Wonders: I want to remember to blog hop and be a more active member in the community continuously rather than spiking and then fading into the background again. I want to balance the areas of my life and rather than bemoaning that I have no easy YouTube videos to plough through without leaving a comment, actually go and visit the blogs I followed, because I followed them for a reason!
- Okay, so I added this a bit later, but it is an important one so it’s going on the end here: I am making my TBRs truly the books I need to read and then reading anything else on top of that. This way, the TBRs will be smaller and I will actually be able to achieve them. This will also help with finishing current reads as I mentioned I wanted to already.
What are your goals? Do you set any? Please link your own posts down below as I love reading them: they are some of my favourite posts! Happy reading, Keira x.